This recipe was handed down from my gran (Mamie) to my mum, and now I cook this for my kids too. The smell of this simple beef stew takes me back to my childhood in a way that only smell can, and every time I make this it brings a smile to my face.
I was going to share a barbecue recipe with you today, but considering how the weather has turned recently it seemed appropriate to post a winter stew instead! The beauty of this hearty beef and carrot stew is that it is super easy to make, and gives a nicely balanced meal which you can serve to all the family – even the babies.
Although this takes a long time to cook from start to finish – because you’re using the slow cooker – the actual preparation time is very short, so it is also a great dish for those of you who are time poor.
If you want to mix it up a bit you can remove the potatoes and serve it with some rice instead, or even use it for a pie, adding a pastry topping.
- Beef - 1kg (braising steak)
- Carrots - 1kg
- Potatoes - 1kg
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp
- Onions - 2
- Beef stock - 200ml
- Chopped tomatoes - 400g
- Tomato purée - 70g
- Garlic - 2 cloves (crushed)
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp (ground, heaped)
- Bay leaves - 2
- Juniper - 1 tsp (heaped)
- Put the olive oil at the bottom of the slow cooker
- Peel your onions, slice them, cut the meat and put it all in the slow cooker
- Peel your carrots, slice them, cut the potatoes and put it all in the slow cooker
- Pour the beef stock, the chopped tomatoes, the tomato purée and the crushed garlic over the top
- Add the bay leaves, juniper and some salt and pepper to season
- Stir well and cook for 9 hours on low or 6 hours on high
Get your slow cooker ready. Switch your kettle on. Get all your ingredients ready.
Put the olive oil at the bottom of the slow cooker. Peel your onions, slice them. Cut your braising steak into 3-4 cm pieces. Put it all in the slow cooker.
Peel your carrots, slice them width-ways. Cut the potatoes into 3-4 cm pieces (you don't need to peel them, you can just scrub them first). Put it all in the slow cooker. Put the beef stock cube into a jug and pour 200ml of boiling water over it. Stir well with a fork and pour the beef stock into the slow cooker. Add the chopped tomatoes, the tomato purée and the crushed garlic.
Add the bay leaves, juniper and some salt and pepper according to taste.
Stir well and cook for 9 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
Don't forget, if you like this recipe please share it! We'd love it if you came back and shared your comments, thoughts, and rating on this dish once you've cooked it. Bon appétit!