As the weather in the UK turns decidedly autumnal you can hear slow cookers across the country being dusted off, and today’s recipe is one for all of you with crock-pots out there. This dish is based on the traditional Moroccan dish – Tagine – but is cooked in a slow cooker instead of a tagine dish, making it more accessible!
Now this isn’t a typical French dish but it is eaten a lot in France due to the massive Moroccan influence you can find there (the UK’s food now counts a lot of curries due to the Indian/Pakistani communities here, whilst in France the equivalent influence comes from North Africa).
This recipe is a great one for families as the preparation time is just 20 minutes (you can then cook it on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours) and with the mix of vegetables this makes for a healthy, balanced dish. It is also an incredibly simple recipe for those not so confident in the kitchen.
You can serve Moroccan lamb (tagine) with all sorts, including couscous, quinoa, bulgur, rice or even steamed or mashed potatoes.
- Lamb - 900g (shoulder, boned)
- Beef stock - 300ml
- Cumin - 2 tsp (heaped, ground)
- Coriander - 2 tsp (heaped, ground)
- Cinnamon - 2 tsp (heaped, ground)
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Onions - 2
- Garlic - 4 cloves (crushed)
- Peppers - 2 (red)
- Peppers - 1 (yellow)
- Courgettes - 2
- Apricots - 150g (dried)
- Chopped tomatoes - 800g (2 tins)
- Boil the water to prepare your stock if using a stock cube
- Peel and slice the onions then add them to the slow cooker
- Dice the lamb into 3cm cubes and add them to the slow cooker
- Crush the garlic cloves into the slow cooker
- Slice the peppers and the courgettes then add them to the slow cooker
- Cut the apricots in half and add them to the slow cooker
- Pour the olive oil, the chopped tomatoes and the ground spices into the slow cooker
- Pour the stock over everything and season to taste
- Stir everything well
- Cook in the slow cooker for 4h on high or 8h on low
Switch your kettle on. Get all your ingredients and slow cooker ready.
When your water has boiled mix it with the stock cube in a bowl. Peel and slice the onions, and put them in the slow cooker. Cut the lamb into 3cm cubes and add them to the slow cooker. Crush the garlic cloves in a garlic press and add to the slow cooker (you can leave the skin on to save time).
Slice the peppers and the courgettes then add them to the slow cooker. Cut the apricots in half, so their flavours spread out across the dish, and put them into the slow cooker. Add the olive oil, the chopped tomatoes and the ground spices.
Pour the stock over everything. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Stir everything really well.
Cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Don't hesitate to use any other kinds of peppers.
- For a hotter dish you can add fresh or dried ground chillies.
Don't forget, if you like this recipe please share it! We'd love it if you came back and shared your comments, thoughts, and rating on this dish once you've cooked it. Bon appétit!
I am linking this post up to Tasty Tuesdays with Honest Mum, click on the image below to discover some other yummy blog posts: