These cheap and easy jumbo potato wedges with dips are a great accompaniment to most meats, making them the perfect addition to your late summer barbecues *crosses fingers that summer isn’t over yet*.
We’re big potato wedges fans in our house so it was good to try out a different version, with some new dips. In all honesty the dips had varying success – I loved them, but Sophie and the kids a bit less so, however the potato wedges were all eaten in no time at all.
This recipe (which I have tweaked slightly) came from “Man up your meals”, which was sent to us by Parragon Books for review. You can read my thoughts on Man up your meals in my blog post, Boozy Chocolate Cheesecake, where I share their recipe for this killer dessert from the same book.
- Potatoes & Rub
- Potatoes - 8 (large, jacket ones)
- Olive oil - 6 tbsp
- Paprika - 1.5 tbsp (heaped)
- Oregano - 1.5 tsp (heaped)
- Thyme - 1.5 tsp (heaped)
- Garlic dip
- Mayonnaise - 4 tbsp (heaped)
- Garlic - 3 (whole bulbs - NOT cloves)
- Cream & horseradish dip
- Sour cream - 4 tbsp (heaped)
- Horseradish sauce - 2 tbsp (heaped)
- Chives - 1 small bunch
- Cover a large baking tray with baking paper
- Prepare the rub by mixing the olive oil, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper together
- Roll the garlic bulbs around in the rub before setting to one side
- Cut the potatoes into wedges and cover them with the above rub, then line them up with the garlic bulbs on your baking tray
- Cook in the oven at 200ºC for 25mn
- Remove the garlic bulbs and cook the wedges for an additional 15 mn
- Scrape out the flesh from inside the garlic, put it in a bowl (discarding the skin), squash it with a fork and stir it into the mayonnaise
- Mix the sour cream, the horseradish sauce and the chives in another bowl
Switch the oven on at 200ºC. Get all your ingredients ready.
Cover a large baking tray with baking paper.
Prepare the rub by mixing the olive oil, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper together in a big bowl. Put the garlic bulbs sideways on a chopping board and cut the top off. Add the garlic bulbs to the rub mix in the bowl. Roll the bulbs all around in the rub so that the garlic flavours the rub and vice versa.
Wash the potatoes well as you will be keeping the skin on. Cut them in half then cut each half into three wedges. Cover them well with the above rub and line them up with the garlic bulbs on your baking tray.
Cook in the oven at 200ºC for 25 minutes.
Remove the garlic bulbs and put the potato wedges back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Once the garlic bulbs have cooled down a bit (about 2-3 minutes) scrape out the cooked flesh with a knife, put it in a bowl and discard the skin. Squash the garlic flesh with a fork and stir it into the mayonnaise.
Finely chop the chives. Mix the sour cream, the horseradish sauce and the chopped chives in a separate bowl.
Once the potatoes are cooked leave them to cool for 5 minutes before eating them.
Don't forget, if you like this recipe please share it! We'd love it if you came back and shared your comments, thoughts, and rating on this dish once you've made it. Bon appétit!
I'm linking this recipe up with A Mummy Too and Recipe of the week, click on the link below to see some other yummy recipe blog posts: