I know we’re coming out of the winter months, when a pasta bake is the perfect antidote to the miserable weather outside, but this is such a delicious dish that I don’t want to have to wait until the autumn to share it with you.
This is one of Sophie’s favourite pasta dishes and is beautifully versatile – you can play around with the ingredients according to the preferences/budget of your house, for example if you’re big meat-eaters you can use meat balls as well as the chorizo.
The beauty of this dish is it’s really simple to make, so even those of you who are quite new to the kitchen can conjure up a yummy meal easily 🙂
- Pasta - 500g (conchiglie rigate)
- Chorizo - 400g (for cooking)
- Passata - 500ml
- Chopped tomatoes - 400g
- Mozzarella - 250g
- Onion - 1
- Oregano - 1tsp (heaped, dried)
- Eggs - 4
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Grated cheese - 200g (cheddar)
- Fry the chorizo and sliced onion on a high heat for 3 mn
- Cook the pasta according to instructions
- Add passata, chopped tin tomatoes, oregano and seasoning to the chorizo and cook on a medium heat for 10 mn
- Drain the pasta and pour into a baking tray
- Cover the pasta with sliced mozzarella
- Pour the chorizo and tomato sauce on top of the pasta and stir well
- Cover with grated cheese and cook in the oven at 225°C for 15 mn
- Add 4 eggs on top of the pasta bake and cook in the oven for 4 mn
Put your saucepan and your frying pan onto a high heat. Switch your kettle on. Get all your ingredients ready.
Peel and slice your onion. Fry the chorizo (I used the meatball version, but you can use any really) and sliced onion on a high heat for 3 minutes with the olive oil.
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions with the boiled water from the kettle.
Put the oven on at full whack.
Add the passata, the tin of chopped tomatoes and the oregano to the chorizo. Season to taste and add about 100ml of water so the sauce is not too dry. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
Quickly drain the pasta and pour into a baking tray, try and keep some cooking water with the pasta to avoid your pasta bake being too dry. Slice the mozzarella into 0.5 cm thick slices and cover the pasta with them.
Pour the chorizo and tomato sauce on top of the pasta and stir well making sure the chorizo balls and the mozzarella slices are evenly scattered.
Cover with some grated cheese (I used cheddar) and cook in the oven at 225°C for 15 minutes.
Take the baking tray out of the oven. Break 4 raw eggs on top of the pasta bake and then put the baking tray back in the oven. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
Don't forget, if you like this recipe please share it! We'd love it if you came back and shared your comments, thoughts, and rating on this dish once you've cooked it. Bon appétit!
I am linking this recipe up to Tasty Tuesdays, for more yummy food blog posts click on the linky below: